Unlike Easter Eggers that hatcheries often sell as Ameraucana, these are the real deal. We love their fluffy cheeks, pea combs, and sky blue eggs! Our line started with APA Grand Master Exhibitor Paul Smith. To preserve feather quality, we breed back to Black every few generations. Chicks during those years might be Self-Blue or Black Split. We also have 100% Black.
Legbars are popular due to their autosexing genes and blue (sometimes minty) eggs. Opals are a gorgeous lavender color but if bred to each other for too long, they can develop feather issues, so we breed back to Cream every few generations. Chicks during those years might be Opal or Cream Split. We also offer 100% Cream.
The only truly Norwegian chicken, the Jaerhon is a small autosexing breed that lays large white eggs. They are active foragers and prefer to free range. We have two lines - one from Ideal Poultry and one from a private breeder who imported her line directly from Norway back when it was legal! Chicks need a bit more TLC than other breeds - we are working towards increasing hardiness.
German Deathlayers are renowned for their ability to lay eggs throughout their whole lives - most breeds slow down and stop after only a few years! Chicks need more TLC than other breeds - we are working towards increasing hardiness. It turns out that all 5 we hatched are hens, so if anyone local has a Silver Deathlayer rooster, we're interested!
Originating in Sweden, the Svart Hona shares the fibromelanistic trait of its famous cousin, the Ayam Cemani - they are almost completely black, inside and out. Also called the Swedish Black Hen, this breed is larger, more cold-hardy, and far more rare than the Ayam Cemani. Their eggs are a bit small compared to our other breeds, but they do lay well.
Buckeyes are the only APA-recognized breed created by a woman! They quickly stole our hearts - they are sweet and curious, always underfoot, and great bug hunters! They're also cold-hardy with tiny pea combs. Of all our chickens, these are our absolute favorite and we hope to always have this breed in our coop. Our line is from Bill Dyke, who retired in 2021. He started with Lay/Shumaker lines, and most people agree that he bred the friendliest birds they'd ever seen! They're alllllmost autosexing, too! It's an unofficial trait, but we were 100% accurate in our gender predictions in 2022.
Originating in Canada, Chanteclers are THE chickens for northern climates - they’re cushion-combed and fluffy for severe winter weather, are sweet as can be, love to free range, lay a ton of large brown eggs, and roosters grow to about 9lbs for those who have a freezer camp. We hear some lines are almost autosexing, too, so we look forward to seeing whether these guys are! Our line originally came from Rob North, who we believe started with stock from Shelly Oswald - both have been hugely instrumental in bringing this amazing breed to the US.
Created in Germany, the Bielefelder just might be the ultimate dual purpose bird! They are extremely docile, large for the table, lay good-sized eggs, and are autosexing. What more could a homesteader ask for? The only flaw we've found is that they do eat more than other breeds, probably because of their large size. None of our roosters of any breed have ever attacked us and gone on to reproduce, but these boys have been the most mellow with us, and are also the least likely to cause drama in the bachelor pad or with the hens.
We were very excited to find our Welsummers - they come from an autosexing line and we are working to strengthen that feature. A Dutch breed, they are friendly and great foragers. They lay gorgeous speckled dark brown eggs - almost as dark as our Marans! We breed more for SOP than egg color with this line because we want to keep our beloved autosexing trait. It's so convenient!
The preferred egg-layer of Julia Child (and James Bond), most of our Black French Copper Marans are from the Greenfire Farms A line, which descend from the French National Egg Champion. We breed for both SOP and egg color, but if we have to choose, we favor egg color when picking keepers.
Olive Eggers are created by breeding a chicken that lays blue eggs with one that lays dark brown eggs. There is a 99% chance that they will lay olive eggs - every now and then, there might be an outlier, though!
F2 Olive Eggers are created by breeding an F1 Olive Egger with another F1 Olive Egger. There is a 75% chance that they will lay more rich olive eggs and a 25% chance that they will lay ANY other color from blue to brown.
BC1 Olive Eggers are created by breeding an Olive Egger with a chicken that lays dark brown eggs. There is a 50% chance that they will lay a more rich olive egg and a 50% chance that they will lay dark brown.
An Easter Egger is created by breeding a chicken that lays blue eggs with one that lays light brown eggs. There is a 99% chance that they will lay a shade of green, but there can always be an outlier.
Mint Eggers are created by breeding an Olive or Easter Egger with a chicken that lays blue eggs. There is a 75% chance that they will lay a brighter green egg and a 25% chance that they will lay a shade of olive or blue.
Sage Eggers are created by breeding an Olive or Easter Egger with a chicken that lays light brown eggs. There is a 50% chance that they will lay a light sage egg and a 50% chance that they will lay a shade of brown.